There are several ways to set up your own radio station. It depends on how serious you are about it. The single most important thing you should know before you get started is why would you need to start your own radio station?
Maybe, it's because you are a DJ or you have a band and want to reach an audience with your songs. Maybe, you have a huge collection of rock music and want to share it with the world. Maybe you are a member of club and want to make money by broadcasting a certain type of music along with commercials. Maybe you are a candidate and want to spread the word about your nomination and your speeches. Or maybe you are just person who is passionate about radio stations and always wanted to start your own FM radio station. Whatever the case, you need to know what you are doing.
Here are the basics of setting up a new radio station in a nutshell.
First you have to make decisions on two issues. You must choose the right place where your studio will be located. Also you must decide whether your radio transmitter will be placed at your studio or in a remote location.
Next, it's time to obtain a FM radio station license that will allow you to legally broadcast your signal.
There are two types of FM radio station license:
- The low power FM (Local)
- The full power FM (Commercial)
- License for Internet radio (Streaming Media)
You can start broadcasting your new radio station by obtaining at least one of the licenses mentioned. If you are serious about this then your goal should be to first acquire a low power FM license and then move on to the full power license. There's also the option to set up a radio station that streams sound on the internet which is the easiest way to go with, if you have no previous experience in FM radio stations.
Here are some issues you must consider after applying for the radio station license:
- How much money are you willing to spend for start up and ongoing costs?
- What type of equipment will you need? For example transmission equipment or a radio automation system etc. Do you know how to choose the best transmitter for your radio station?
- What is the process of getting in the air? Do you know how to use your equipment and go live? For example, do you know how many watts your broadcast equipment can handle?
- How will you deal with music licensing, royalties and copyright issues? Do you know that you actually have to pay for that too?
- How well informed are you on the subject of frequencies? Acquiring a license is one thing and obtaining a frequency for your radio station is a different thing. You have to fill and submit an application to request a new frequency.
- Do you know what kind of personnel you need? Do you have a plan to find the right people for the job?
The idea of broadcasting your messages to others through a radio station becomes more and more popular. These days, we are so empowered with communication possibilities than ever before. For very little money anyone can broadcast their messages to the world.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/music-articles/how-to-set-up-your-own-fm-radio-station-licensing-and-start-up-issues-124153.htmlAbout the Author:
If you are seriously investigating setting up a FM radio station, you will need professional assistance to help make this a reality. The free information featured in this Radio Station Start Up Guide can alone help save hundreds of dollars on equipment. Mary Mark is a webmaster of Digital Star Products Directory of Digital Products.
We sell professional studio warning lights to radio, television and audio studios all around the world, our products can be seen in thousands of locations world wide. For more information on these products click one of the below images.